The Viaduct

by Samuel Michael Gard

The Viaduct

Newton Cap Viaduct, Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom History // "One of the Wear's major bridges, it opened in 1857 for the North Eastern Railway's branch linking Darlington, Bishop Auckland and Durham. It stands one hundred feet high with sixty foot spans. After closure in 1968 it became part of the Brandon - Bishop Auckland Railway Walk but in 1995 was converted into a road bridge. Widened by 13 feet with footpaths to either side, concrete was used on top of the stone deck. It is part of the A689 road linking Bishop Auckland with Crook. The viaduct is Grade 2 listed" (Bridges on the Tyne, 2016)

20/08/2016

You may also like

John Snow Annual College Dinner
April, 2016
Hardwick Hall Hotel, Sedgefield
Durham Pride
May, 2016
Durham, United Kingdom
Newcastle
December, 2016
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
Fountains Abbey
September, 2016
Ripon, United Kingdom
MedSoc Ball
March, 2016
Beamish Hall Hotel, Beamish
Dialogue: Issue 45
March, 2016
Featured Publication
Ladies Night
November, 2015
University College, Durham University
Durham Pride
May, 2015
Durham, United Kingdom
Double Exposure Portraits
November, 2016
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
Morocco
August, 2012
Marrakech, Morocco
Back to Top